Spin on+oil filters/NO More"WEEPS'

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Spin on+oil filters/NO More"WEEPS'
From: TAFFEL SHERMAN D <staffel@home.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 23:23:06 -0500
John in Jacksonville and TR listers:

I too have been 'plagued' by leaky oil filters (the original canister in
the past) and periodicaly the spin on adapter. I also have had leaking
oil filters after @ 1500 miles (leaking at the base of the filter)on my
Jaguar S convertible ('89 V-12) anytime I don't use a Jaguar filter.

The bad news is  'we're in good company', the GOOD news is I've solved
this problem!!

I have ordered new 'large' seals from Moss and TRF and they never fit
the recess  (original Purolator filter head) where the original oil
cartridge canister or the spin on adapter edges insert.(TOO WIDE) So I
once again 'picked out' the original seal and wiped the clean the recess
of the filter head, the gasket, and the 'male' edge of the adapter with
isopropal alcohol. I then used a very very tiny 'smear' of 3M
weatherstrip adhesive on (one side of) the gasket and inserted it into
the recess. Then I found a thin nut to secure the adapter to the threads
of the filter head, and with a new small '0' ring of proper size, test
fitted the adapter to the filter head. Then I smeared the OUTSIDE male
edge of the adapter with 3M weatherstrip adhesive and secured the
adapter to the filter head with the nut. Thus I have now a 'permanent
(yeah right) 'Modified Purolator Filter Head' and all I have to do is
change the spin on filters

Now there is a problem. The filters sold by the Big three for the
adaptor I bougt years ago by one of the Big three never work. They are
too big OR the Threads of the filter are Recessed too far to get a good
'Spin On'.

I'm not with the car but you want a filter that the bottom of is almost
even with the seal on the oil filter. I waited a week to put the filter
on (but 48 hours should be plenty for the 3M to Fully Cure) and have had
no more problems. Car has been started at least 3 dozen times and driven
once to its new hanger last week-Not a drip!!!

I also solved the Valve cover gasket weeps over the rear of the engine
which always end up on the exhaust pipe, burnt, smoked, smelled and
worked its way for 30 years into the car (when the top was up)via the
rotted transmisssion hump. In 1998, on a fluke thought, I tried the 3M
on the cork gasket to valve cover, and on the rear U of the cyl head,
again just a light 'SMEAR'.

Couldn't believe it 3 years ago when I prepared the car to go to my
friend's commercial hanger for the restoration. After 30 years Not a
drip in more than 200 miles of driving.

 Also solved a rattly gear shifter (spherical bearing mounted in
transmission extension housing), originally fixed by a Factory Service
Bulletin on the Jensen Healys/ (GT) with Locktite (which after 23 years
'debonded' its brittle self,enabling metal to metal wear and
cccchatter.Drove me batty it was so loud. Even holding the gear lever
did not much to stop it. I pulled the bearing, cleaned everything up,
imbedde the shifter/bearing in the 3M-No more chatter, no more rattle,
if it ever 'cracks (say in 15 years-there will still be no metal to
metal ccontact to cchatter) This is great stuff Use to glue window
channel felt into U channels too)(No financial interest-but they make
$100 yr from me on this product)

All disclaimers apply!
BUT
That's what worked for me!!!