Fuel Line Thread Sealant

To: "Steve Nabors" <topdown@eudoramail.com>
Subject: Fuel Line Thread Sealant
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 09:57:45 -0500
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Message text written by "Steve Nabors"
>I just replaced my fuel pump on my '74 TR6. One of my threaded fuel line
connections sealed nicely and the other did not. I painted a light coat of
Permatex gasket sealer(the red stringy stuff that comes in a can with a
brush) as it said it did not break down with gas and said it was an
excellent thread sealer. Should I have used the the stretchy white tape
thread sealer stuff(I forget what its called) instead?
<

Steve,

These are compression fittings.  The threads do not make the seal.  The
seal is made when you tighten the nut which compresses the compression
ferrel against the seat.  If these joints leak it is because of an
imperfection (dirt, nick, etc) on the mating surfaces, or bunged up threads
that don't allow the compression nut to run up tight.

A friend of mine bought a new pump for his TR3 and the threads were not cut
properly.  He wound up taking the top from his old pump and the bottom (and
dighram) from the new pump to come up with a working combination.

Good luck

Dave