RE: Only on Tuesdays

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Only on Tuesdays
From: "Randall" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 17:23:40 -0800charset="iso-8859-1"
John :

Sounds to me like the wires on the oil pressure switch are still not correct
(or possibly the switch has failed) (or maybe even some DPO put the wrong
switch in ... some American cars use a similar appearing switch with
different functions).

I'm guessing here, but try this :
Pull the wires off the switch, and with your handy test light/DVM (have I
flogged the $10 el-cheapo DVM from Harbor Freight lately ?) find out which
two switch contacts are closed (shorted together = resistance below 2 ohms)
with the engine not running, and which two are closed with the engine
running.  In both cases, the other contact should be open (resistance above
1 Megohm).  Remember (or write down) which terminals are which : common,
closed when not running, closed when running.  Also, verify that the
oil/brake dash lights stay off with the wires disconnected, even with the
ignition on and the engine not running.

Now, with the engine and ignition off, measure the 3 wires, and identify one
with +12 volts present, and another with a low (15 ohms or less) resistance
to ground.  The low resistance to ground goes to the terminal that was
common in the test above, the +12 volts goes to the terminal that was closed
with the engine running, the remaining wire goes to the remaining terminal.

Of course, you could also take the course taken by so many before ... just
leave the wires disconnected !  The engine will run fine, although it may
exhibit a tendency to run-on a bit when you turn off the key (just let the
clutch out with the tranny in 4th and the brakes set), and the oil pressure
warning light won't work (keep an eye on the gauge).

Randall