Disk Hubs, Drums, Grease, Kindness

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Disk Hubs, Drums, Grease, Kindness
From: "Taffel, Sherman" <STaffel@bcps.k12.md.us>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 13:37:12 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
TR listers:
 The thread about Wheel Bearing grease also sparked a related thought on
'Rust'. I too have learned not to 'overgrease' the bearings or the internal
hub cylinder, but I've also learned to use the Heavy Duty Axle Bearing
Grease, which prevents excessive liquidation in hot summer weather and
'active' sporty driving..

Now as to 'Rust' on the disk hubs, and also the Brake Drums- Last August,
when I bought the '96 XJR, in Milwaukee, and when I got back to MD, the
local MD Jaguar inspector required me to buy new Front rotors to meet 'min
specs', althought the car stopped smoothly from XJR Montana speeds and
straight as an arrow ( in accord with the Wisconsin codes). The new hubs
started to rust literally overnight, and I was preparing the car for
Concours. I painted the calipers, hubs (not braking surfaces) with high heat
silver paint.
On the TR, I painted the front rotors Silver, the rear drums with Black Hi
Temp.
On the XJR- now even through the winter- the Hubs are still clean  and
bright and NO RUST!

I think the kindness we show to our Triumphs should extend to each other as
well. I also think that some folks are a little too sensitive, and some are
a little oversensitive, so what else is new?  I have participated with this
'Triumph Community' for seven months now, and the help and support I've
received with the final stages of my restoration are 'priceless'. It's
spring- let's all grow
TRIUMPH: Terrific Recreation in Ultimate Motoring Performance Heritage.

Sherman D. Taffel
TR4 CT40054L
On the Road Again