Thanks guys

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Thanks guys
From: Mark Dickinson <amdickin@ucalgary.ca>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 20:24:25 -0700

Thanks to all who responded to my inquiry about the turn signal flashers
for the spitfire.  Surprise:  the 1980 spitfire has just the one
flasher!  The trick here is that a tired flasher in combination with a
weary turn signal switch requires that the engine be running in order to
drive enough current through the relay.  Very weird.  I was at a shop
today to replace the steering column switch bank due to a faulty high
beam switch.  We almost completely dissassembled the dash looking for
another flasher unit.  Needles to say there was not one to be found.  We
tried substituting another 3 prong flasher from a much older model and
it worked without the engine running!  (yes I know that the ignition
switch needs to be in the run position).  With the new switches
installed and the engine running the turn signals blink hapily away.  I
did try the old switch bank with the engine running (I drove the car
wondering if vibration might shake something loose) but nothing
happened.  I hope this little story helps out someone else with a
similar woe.

Thnaks again all.

Mark Dickinson
Calgary, Alberta