74 TR6 - Thrust Washers and Crank End Float

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: 74 TR6 - Thrust Washers and Crank End Float
From: "Sloan, Jim" <JSloan@talisman-energy.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 11:43:02 -0700
Last weekend I attempted to measure the  crankshaft end float  as a means to
determining the shape of the  thrust washers.  I removed the  radiator and
mounted a magnetic dial guage with the pointer against a block of 2X3
spanning across the flywheel. My girlfriend then pushed in the clutch pedal
and  I used a taped crowbar to  first gently move the crank rearward and
then between the engine and flywheel to move it forward. I also tried to
move it forward by engaging the clutch and also by both levering and using
the clutch together.

The result was not what I expected. I thought I would lever it rearward, get
a base reading, then lever the crank forward (and feel it move forward)
where I would encounter a "hard stop" and measure the change. Instead I got
a  "soft stop" on the forward lever and when I backed off the pressure the
reading settled back from about .01" to around  .004" - but not always
consistent.  The spec is I believe .006 - .008".

Did I do this right?   How much force do I need to use on the lever. Is the
.004" the measure I should use?  Can this be better measured by taking off
the pan and bearing cap?

I've had this car for 8 years. It has about 80,000 miles on it with about
25,000 since I've had it. The thrust washers I'm quite sure have never been
changed and certainly not in my time. I was expecting either a measurement
way above spec or to pull the pan and find them in there.

Thanks for any help or just reassurance.
Jim Sloan