Nuts & Bolts update (long)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Nuts & Bolts update (long)
From: Jim Brooks <jabrooks@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 15:44:53 -0800
Just so folks don't think I'm slacking off on my promises :^)

I've finished entering all the various nuts, bolts, screws, washers, and
even cotter pins (ya never know).  Following the parts manual, I broke it
down into Major areas (frame, engine, front suspension, etc), then by
component or sub assembly in that area (cylinder block, upper wishbone,
etc).

At this point, I have
        13 Major areas, containing a total of
        183 Sub-assemblies, containing a total of
        989 individual line items (ie, a part number and a quantity), totalling
        3523 nuts, bolts, etc needed, so if you build from scratch, you'll go
broke on nuts and bolts alone!

As expected there are a large number of duplicates.  Cross-tabbing in Excel
gives ~400 unique part numbers.  Gah.  OK, now the caveats:

1.  The parts catalog breaks requirements down by TS#, so there are
duplicates in some areas (especially at the TS22014 milestone).  When you
see the tables, you'll have to subtract unneeded parts based on your
commission number.

2.  In a number of areas, Standard-Triumph listed unique numbers inside
some assemblies instead of using more common parts.  In at least a few
cases, they changed to standardised parts at a commission number change, in
others cross-referencing through Moss and TRF give a supersession to a
standard part.  There's still a lot that can be done to minimize the number
of "unique" parts.

3.  Keeping in mind #2 above, there are about 175 part numbers that have a
quantity of 2 or 1 required on the whole vehicle.  Some are truly special,
like the washers on the stub axles.  You'll probably just want to save
yourself the hassle and buy these as needed at Moss or TRF.

4.  A lot of parts are probably not available - even Moss and TRF are
coming up blank on about 40 or so items.  There are a lot of setscrews and
bolts with a /P suffix, which I finally figured out meant "Pointed", as in
for example, the wing mounting bolts.   A lot of those will probably just
be replaced by non-pointed varieties.  Even Moss and TRF are doing so.

5.  Finally, You certainly aren't going to need every one of the 3000-odd
parts, since few of us are going to replace the bolts inside our
overdrives, the nuts on our choke linkages, or a bolt inside our oil pump.

As far as cross-referencing goes, TRF uses the factory part #, so they're
cross-referenced already.  However, they list a lot of superceded numbers,
so I'm polishing that off now.  Moss has their own system, and I haven't
got the energy to thoroughly cross reference their 400-odd numbers with the
factory ones.  I am trying to located Moss substitutes where TRF doesn't
list any.

Carl Musson has graciously offered to put the list on his web site, and I'm
getting close to getting it to him (though I have reserve drill this
weekend, so it may not make it till early next week).  I expect to give him
a spreadsheet listing all 989 line items with part #'s, quantity, and
areas, and a cross-tab sheet breaking down totals by area and sub assembly
(so if you just want to do your front suspension, you can figure what you
need for that).

BTW, if you want a jump on the list, your biggest purchases would be:

QTY     Description
213     5/16" lock washers
125     5/16" plain washers
117     1/4" lock washers
115     5/16" UNF hex nuts
109     3/8" lock washers
98      1/4" UNF hex nuts
80      1/4" UNF x 5/8" set screws (machine screws)

I'll tell you, nothing like crawling line by line through the parts manual
to get you familiar with your car!  Have fun...

BTW, the short article on nuts and bolts at the VTR website is correct but
woefully incomplete.  I've figured out about a dozen more codes, but gave
up until Mark G. gets his list posted.  (Thanks Mark!)

jb