Speedometer / No EGR valve

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Speedometer / No EGR valve
From: "Bromiel, James E (Jim)" <bromiel@lucent.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 07:20:05 -0500
Listers

I recently took my 74 TR6 around the block for my frist drive.
I noticed I was doing 115 MPH according to my speedometer,
actually I was probably doing 20 MPH.  I think it was
reading about 80 MPH when I stopped at a stop sign.
When I turned off the engin the speedometer came back down to zero.
I haven't pulled off the speedo cables yet.  Does anyone have an idea what
would cause the Speed so read so high.

My second problem is on my car,  some previous owner had taken off the EGR
valve.  The vacuum line from the Distributor is now routed to the underside
of
the back carb.  The front and rear carbs vacuum line at the intake manifold
are
plugged.  There is no vacuum switch in the upper raidator hose thats gone
too.
My problem is the carb don't return to idol very well, after reving the
engine (the engine stays running at a high rpm, 1500). Is there a way to
reroute
the vacuum line to reduce this problem.

Thanks in advance for any help.

JIm Bromiel