TR3A steering

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3A steering
From: thom kuby <thomkuby@iwvisp.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 12:01:17 +0100
Cc: ednelson@ridgenet.net
Greetings,

First off, I'd like to thank all of you who have been supportive and have
responded to my various questions pertaining to this '59 TR3A, that I've
been fixing up for a neighbor of mine.

The front end rebuild is finished.  This amounted to EVERYTHING being
replaced. The only thing I DIDN'T do was deal with the steering box...and I
probably should've.

Now the questions are about steering.  The car wants to (still) shimmy at
about 55mph...At rest there seems to be an awful lot of slop in the
steering..like about three inches either way off of dead center.
- does this mean the steering box is toast?
- can this slop be adjusted out? (and how do you do that?)

I set the front-end toe, camber, according to the numbers in the manual
(I'm using the Bentley repro of the factory pub.).
- Are these numbers correct?
- are some other tricks to getting this geometry right?

I'm going to re-balance the tires this weekend - I don't think this is
causing the shimmy however, as I've balanced these same tires/wheels
before...on an old, Snap-On bubble balancer (you know...the type where you
place the wheel down flat on it, and then center the bubble indicator).

comments anyone?

Again, the car's owner and I thank you in advance...this is a good group on
this list.

Cheers
Thom Kuby
Porsche freak, with a TR3 in his garage