Re: Exhaust resonators

To: bschwart@pacbell.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Exhaust resonators
From: Chip19474@aol.com
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 09:27:45 EDT
Cc: spitfires@autox.team.net
In a message dated 00-04-07 12:37:44 EDT, bschwart@pacbell.net writes:

<<   Does anyone have the minimum distance between the frame at
 it's narrowest section?  In other words, will a 3 inch dia resonator fit in
 there?  I realize it would be close, but a 1/4 inch of clearance if mounted
 properly should suffice. >>

Barry,

I have some sort of performance exhaust system on my Spit - installed by a
PO.  The resonator is about 18" long (next time I'm under there, I'll measure
it!).  The clearances between resonator and both frame rails are very close -
like around 1/4" on both sides....front and back.

Because the clearances are close, if the exhaust system is not aligned just
right, the resonator will bang the frame rail from normal engine flex.  I
found the magic position of the hanger straps to eliminate the banging until
I replaced the exhaust manifold last October...now it's a bit more
challenging to eliminate the banging....the replacement manifold must have
been cast at a slightly different angle.

I love the sound of this system and won't give it up.  I found that SOS pads
work very well as dampers between the resonator and frame where space gets
even closer...they stand up to the heat - since there's no side-to-side
rubbing, abrasion shouldn't be a problem....heck, maybe I'll enter this tip
into the Spitfire database!!!

Good luck,

chip

Chip Krout
'76 TR6 CF57822U (restoration underway)
'70 Spit Mk3  FDU78512L (ready for another driving season)