Bent Mounting Bracket

To: "6packlist (E-mail)" <6pack@autox.team.net>, "Triumphs-Owner (E-mail)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Bent Mounting Bracket
From: Chris Kincer <KincerC@area.abcbank.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 14:07:31 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Listers,

I have been rebuilding the suspension on my TR6.  Yesterday I was on the
last wheel well and when I took off the lower A Arms, I noticed that my
lower front inner wishbone bracket on the left is bent.  The last time I
drove the car was on a 1 hour long trip and the car seemed to track straight
without any problems.  I have had the car for about 11 years now and when I
think about it, years ago I remember going around a curb and sliding off the
road striking a culvert.  Hard enough to bend my rim to where the air came
out of the tire (17 years old at the time).  At the time I didn't think
anything about bending the frame.  I just hoped out and swapped the wheel
with my spare and decided to skip telling my father the details.   Therefore
I am assuming I did the damage.  However there are two shims installed on
this side without any on the drivers side.  Could an alignment shop have put
these in to get the car aligned?  Or were they there before I hit the
culvert and I need a new mounting bracket?
    The mounting brackets are listed in the big 3 suppliers relatively cheap
at around $19.00 and they make a strengthening  kit to reinforce these.  I
was able to get everything back together without much problem so, should I
wait and see if there is a problem when I take it to get it aligned hoping
that shims will compensate and has anybody ever replaced this bracket or
used the reinforcing plates?  Your thoughts and opinions are much valued.

Thanks,
Chris Kincer
73 TR6