RE: Wiper Cable

To: TR Newsgroup <triumphs@autox.team.net>, john Kossup <johnek@hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Wiper Cable
From: Gary & Priscilla Klein <gklein@toad.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 19:09:17 -0400
John,

If you've only removed 6 inches of the cable then the following might
work.  First, remove both wiper arms.  The "knurled knob" to which the
wiper arms attach are actually part of the wheel box assembly and there
are gears on the back side. By removing the arms, you ought to be able
to turn their dhafts and "drive" the broken end of the cable out of its
tube.

The tube is actually 3 seperate pieces: one between the motor, one
between both wheel boxes and a small 2" piece on the passenger outboard
side.

I suspect that after all these years, the grease in the tubes and the
wheelboxes has gotten hard.  While rebuilding my car, I'd removed both
wheel boxes and the tubes, cleaned them and relubed everything with
white lithium grease.  Removal is easy when everything has been removed
from under the dash but even so it was a bit of a pain to put everything
back in.  In your case, the removal and reinstallation will be a chore
as you need clear access to the cover plates on the underside of the
firewall.

Contact me off-line and I'll guide you through the process.

Gary
'75 TR6