Voltage Stabilizer question

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Voltage Stabilizer question
From: "Bob Kramer" <rgk@flash.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 09:36:37 -0500
No responses yet on the voltage stabilizer question I asked. I was looking
for a simple way to determine if one is bad, or what else might cause the
stabilizer to work when separated from the speedometer (not grounded) but
fail when properly connected. I opened up one yesterday, and found what I
think might be the problem. I think all 3 that I have are bad. The
electrical engineers on this list can explain it better, but it looks like
the unit basically has 2 sets of contacts that are connected only when the
power is turned on. A wrap of the ground wire (connected via a tab to the VS
case) around one of the contacts must form an electromagnet holding the
contacts together. My guess is that this is done to prevent unwanted short
term voltage disconnections when the sender drops its signal (sloshing
gasoline?) to keep the gauge from registering bouncy readings. Therefore, I
have determined that the ground coil must be bad, burned through the wire
coating, causing a short to the case, and I need a new voltage stabilizer.
Can anyone enlighten me as to wether my thinking on this is correct?

Bob Kramer
TR6, TR4A, Devin TR
Hill Country Triumph Club
Corinthians Vintage Auto Racing