Re: Silicone caution(?) [Was: Softening old Rubber]

To: Butch Lewis <butchl@eudoramail.com>
Subject: Re: Silicone caution(?) [Was: Softening old Rubber]
From: erl@unix.mail.virginia.edu
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2000 07:26:17 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Mmdf-warning: Parse error in original version of preceding line at mail.virginia.edu

On Fri, 28 Apr 2000, Butch Lewis wrote:

> Someone who has personal experience might correct me, but an auto body
>repairman once told me that silicone spray was taboo in his shop because it is
>so difficult to remove and wreaks havoc when trying to apply new paint. This
>shouldn't matter for a car that is not headed for restoration but, if true,
>should be kept in mind when spraying around one that is.
>
>    Butch

Any body shope will tell you that silicone on the car will give
"fish-eyes" in the new paint.  However, now all shops/paint manufacturers
have an additive that will take care of the problem, although they prefer
not to have to worry about it.  However, so many products, like Armorall,
have silicon it is almost impossible to avoid it.

James A. Ruffner