Re: TR6 Strange Starting Behavior

To: TRIUMPHS@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 Strange Starting Behavior
From: Tim Gaines <mtgaines@cs1.presby.edu>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 10:37:28 -0400
Blake,

I had to work through a mess with the ignition wiring on my 74 TR6
shortly after buying it.  I hope I can remember some details that
might help you.  First, the PO used a starter relay for the wrong
year, and it had no place for the wire that provides 12v to the coil
at startup (C4 I think).  So I can't compare my relay connections
to yours.  Anyway, the PO just left the wire hanging there, unconnected!
That was a yellow/white wire I'm pretty sure.  With a lot of advice
from Dan Masters I was able to use the relay on the car rather than
buy the expensive right one.  There was a 12v connector on the
starter solenoid which is hot only at startup, so the yellow/white
went to that.  Another problem I had to correct was the seat interlock
switch.  If I've got this right, there is a pressure switch under the
seat that must work if the relay is to be activated (through the
orange/white wire I think).  The switch in my car was missing, but
I was able to put a little jumper wire in the circular plug on
the passenger side (in the interior) to bypass the switch.  I had to
figure it out from the wiring diagram in my manual.  I'm wondering
if this might be your problem.  I don't know anything about these
pressure switches, but you might just be shifting your weight enough
when you fiddle with the gear shift to briefly activate the interlock
switch.  I'd just bypass it with a jumper and check it out.

I just went out into the parking lot to check out my wiring.  I have
jumpered the 11 and 12 holes on the circular plug.  That means, on
mine, that the orange/white and a red/white wire are connected (you
can see which wires enter the plug).  At some point I decided to
leave the whole plug disconnected from its socket, I guess because
none of the things it serves (like the seat switch) were useful.

Hope this helps.

Tim Gaines
Clinton, SC
1980 Spitfire