Strombergs and timing

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Strombergs and timing
From: "Jay Snavely" <jays@paonline.com>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 12:43:10 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
I am trying to improve the running of the engine in my 74 TR6.  The car is
completely stock except for K&N filters and Grosse jets.  The car ran good
before I did the work on the carbs and ran OK when I was done.  I followed
the Bentley instructions for checking the rich/lean settings of the carbs.
After I freed up the needles, I found that regardless of how far clockwise I
turned them, the car would still stall as soon as I raised the pistions a
slight bit.  I finally turned them as rich as they would go, with only a
slight improvement in the running and raising the piston.  I have read some
archieves about air leaks in hoses , etc.  Is it likely I have air leaks or
is this a normal situation?

I also decided to check the timing.  The dwell was 33 deg so I left that
alone.  The timing baffles me.  The car has a Lucas 22D dist.  With the vac
retard line disconnected, the timing was about 18 BTDC, and with it
connected it was still about 6-8 deg BTDC.  Should be 4 deg AFTC.  But if I
adjusted toward this, it ran really rough.  I also read some threads about
other people who seemed to experience this.  Is there a good reason for
this?  I seem to remember having other cars which did not run properly at
the factory setting.

Thanks.

Jay
74TR6