The future for Gaydon?

To: "Triumphs List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: The future for Gaydon?
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 22:11:48 +0100charset="iso-8859-1"
Listers
I've had many off-list requests for info about Gaydon's fate (BMIHT) over the
last two or
three weeks and all I've been able to say is very little. Today, a meeting took
place for
employees in which the future became a little clearer. This info is still very
much under
wraps and I can't comment about it - so please don't push me to do so. All I
will say is
that outside the BMW/Rover debacle, Gaydon's funding is in place until the end
of calendar
2000. After that, and if everything goes according to plan, Gaydon's future
looks
reasonably secure and I'm not dismayed at the prospects outlined.
All I can say is that both the Trustees for the Trust and the Charity, together
with BMW
senior management, are adamant the vehicle collection and archive should not be
dismembered and MUST stay together. Being a bit of a cynic (life has made me
like that) I
feel there can still be many a slip 'twixt cup and lip and it is for this
reason that
caution errs against euphoria.
Anyway, we'll be there for the rest of this year, working like hell to build up
support by
any means possible and we need visitors like we need visitors by the planeload,
carload,
busload - and even on foot. We're working flat out to keep this place open for
you,
wherever you live, so PLEASE don't pass the door with a promise to come "next
time
around." If everyone does that, there may not be a next time.

Jonmac