Re: TR6 Head shaving

To: Keith Ehrlich <kehrlich@bellatlantic.net>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 Head shaving
From: "Hugh Barber"<trnut@cwnet.com>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 14:44:16 PDT
Keith,
How much compression you can run depends directly on the specs of the camshaft
you are using.  In addition, when you use a "wilder" camshaft (with more overlap
& lift) you need to raise the compression to offset the cylinder pressure loss
inherent with using the wilder cam.  In other words, greater engine output is
not merely a matter of using one "hot" part - it is a matter of using a set
of parts that are tailored to each other and the intended purpose.  For
instance,
I use an S-2 camshaft, 10:1 compression, headers/freeflow exhaust and triple
webers on my TR6.  I use 92 octane gasoline without any pinging (except for
exeptionally hot days in traffic).  If I was running the stock cam, I could
probably not run higher than 9:1.  Any cam supplier who knows his stuff should
be able to tell you (before you buy) what the powerband is for a particular
cam grind, how much compression you should run, and what other
engine/intake/exhaust
mods you will need to do to get the most out of the cam.  If a particular cam
supplier can't/won't tell you, then walk away and find another supplier.  I
have had good results from TS Imported and Elgin Cams (your mileage may vary).

Hope this helps,

Hugh Barber
Hollister, CA
'73 TR6