[no subject]

To: <dave_rupert@codl.com>
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 7 May 2000 22:08:24 +0100charset="iso-8859-1"
Dave Rupert wrote:
     Saturday night I leave Detroit for a two week vacation in England and
     Scotland.  Tops on my list are several single malt distilleries, a
     trip to Beaulieu, lots of pubs, and a visit to Coventry to see where
     my cars were born.
     Problem is, I'm not sure of the exact location of the old Coventry
     factory.  Last I heard, it had been replaced with a supermarket and a
     plaque was all that was left.  Can someone tell me how to find this
     plaque?  Also, any other areas of interest to a TR freak that I should
     see?

     David Rupert

Dave Massey replied:

And employed by this same museum is a
repository of very many interesting gems of wisdom and insight of things
Triumph and Standard in the person of John MacCartney who worked at the
same said factory and can provide you with directions to the once
Standard-Triumph factory and now industrial estate.

Dave, throughout my life I have been called many things - but a repository?
Never! But
thank you for the title.

To Dave Rupert (if you are interecepting your posts from here?) come to Gaydon
and have a
look at what we have there. you won't be disappointed. If you want a visit to
the former
factory site, I can tell you that what you will now see is a very different
picture to
what it once was. Lots of new buildings, new roads and nothing left - apart
from the old
social club. You may get a 'turn on' by going there but personally my advice
would be to
not bother. There is a recently placed piece of stainless steel in the form of a
memorial - now well piddled on by passing dogs but nothing else. If you do go,
the former
factory site is that bounded by the railway to the south, Fletchampstead
Highway to the
west and Tile Hill Lane to the north - a total of 95 odd acres.

Sorry I haven't replied earlier to this post as I've been Triumphing this
weekend in a
1960 TR3A with my old chum Paul Richardson - eldest son of Ken. We've just
completed a 600
mile journey in 18 hours for charity, drove the oldest car in the event, raised
the most
money in the process and had one helluva time all round. Did it in the company
of three
TR6PI's, one 1300 Mk 4 Spitfire, four Innsbrucks (of which one was a PI) - and
a great
Jack Russell called Harry.

I'm now going to bed.

Jonmac