Re: RED GL-7 80W90 Gear oil

Subject: Re: RED GL-7 80W90 Gear oil
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 09 May 2000 05:27:41 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
The only descriptions I can find of GL-7 indicate that it has "improved
thermal stability" over GL-5.  Most references say it has not yet been
approved by the API, and that the current API designation is PG-2, which
is a "temporary designation for heavy-duty truck and bus final drive
axles using spiral bevel and hypoid gears.".  Apparently they are having
trouble with the "spalling test" part of the new standard, which is a
measure of how well the oil cushions against extreme pressure.

"Mystic" appears to be a synthetic oil, like Mobil-1 and Redline.

Based on those two facts, I'd guess your Mystic "GL-7" is probably OK in
a TR6 diff, but the only way to be sure is to try it.

Randall