T/O brg carrier wear was: Not A Good Thing

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: T/O brg carrier wear was: Not A Good Thing
From: Aribert_Neumann@magna.on.ca
Date: Tue, 9 May 2000 11:34:00 -0400

FWIW, my '71 GT-6  T/O brg carrier had similar wear with the anti-rotation pin
still in place.  I installed a new (additional) anti-rotation pin (roll pin
purchased at a local hardware store) by drilling a suitable sized hole in a
location such that the clutch fork could no longer rotate into the old worn
spots.  I have put over 15,000 miles on it since (even looked at it when I had
to replace a clutch since then and there is very minimal wear starting at the
new rotation end points).  You might also want to look at the clutch fork pins
for excessive wear.  THe wear in the T/O brg  carrier along with the wear on the
clutch fork pins and the wear in the clevis pin / clevis joint at the clutch
cylinder contribute to excessive clutch petal travel (inadequate clutch
release).

From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kmr@pil.net>
Subject: Thanks & Not A Good Thing

 .... One of which was the throw
out bearing, and throw out bearing sleeve (and anti-rotation pin).  Once
cleaned free of goop, I found excessive wear... wear to a degree I have
never seen on the a Triumph ToB sleeve before.  I took a photo of it (if you
care to take a look at it)...

http://www.pil.net/~mowogmg/pics/tob-sleeve-wear.jpg

There are four of these "dimples", each one located at ~ 30 degrees... 150
degrees, 210 degrees and 330 degrees on the sleeve.