Re: CNN reports BMW pays Phoenix to take over

To: "Brian Furgalus" <triumph.tr7@usa.net>
Subject: Re: CNN reports BMW pays Phoenix to take over
From: "Mark the Shark" <markie@gte.net>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2000 23:27:16 -0400charset="Windows-1252"
Cc: "Triumph mail list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "Wedge List" <tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu>
I would agree with you about Phoenix only having one sportscar and that is
and should be MG.  I have to be practical here, MG is a much stronger brand
name when associated with British sportscars.  What I disagree with is BMW
keeping the Triumph name.  Phoenix would have been much better off using the
Triumph name on it's next generation of Saloon's.  I'm a Rover fan but the
name has been so tarnished.  I just think BMW realizes this and for
marketing reasons held on to the Triumph marque to deny Rover.  I don't
thing they will ever use the marque, why would they with what they have just
gone through.  No BMW executive would have the gonads to use it.  Triumph
will remain locked in a trunk in Bavaria....Unless of course BMW were to
become a subsidiary of GM...Just think, the next generation TR9 based on a
Camaro!

1981 Triumph TR8 DHC FI
Raleigh, NC