Re: O/D changes speedo?

Subject: Re: O/D changes speedo?
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 09 May 2000 23:30:29 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

dncullig@us.ibm.com wrote:

>     OK, the J-type overdrive tranny is in and it WORKS!  I took the car
> down to Britfest 2000 in NJ on Saturday - 230 miles round trip with no
> problems, but I do have a couple of questions:
>
> 1. With the new tranny, my speedo now reads WAY higher than it did
>     before, even when the O/D is not engaged.  Before, 3000RPM in
>     4th gear was 60 mph - now 3000 RPM shows 67-68 MPH (but I'm
>     quite certain I'm not going that fast).  The angle drive is new,
> nothing
>     else was changed.  What's causing this?

When you changed the tranny, you also changed the speedo drive gear
(which is now in the overdrive).  Some possibilities to correct the
problem :
1) Find the right speedo drive gear.  There's some chance the one from
the old tranny will fit.
2) Find a speedo with the right calibration
3) Many speedo shops (look for "speedometer calibration" in the yellow
pages) can build a ratio adapter.  I was recently quoted $60-75.
4) Change the rear end and/or rear tires.

> 2. No matter whether I let up on the gas or keep steady pressure, the
>     O/D seems to lurch into gear when I hit the switch (this happens in 4th
>     gear - I never tried the O/D in 3rd).  The downshifts when I turn it
> off
>     are real smooth, but activating the O/D almost seems to make the
>     car leap.  Am I doing something wrong and/or is there an adjustment
>      that can be made?

I've heard the J-type solenoid adjustment can be used to smooth the
engagement.  Personally, I just de-clutch.

Randall
59 TR3A daily driver