trans cover seam sealer

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: trans cover seam sealer
From: Canada <canada@voyageronline.net>
Date: Fri, 12 May 00 07:24:15 -0000
Getting ready to finish up my TR6 OD installation.  Took it out for a
test drive the other night and it works like a charm!!!  What a
difference a few hundred rpms make!  With the bellhousing and drive shaft
exposed next to my leg, I was kind of timid about acceleration, so I
didn't really test the effect of the lightened flywheel yet.  (like the
trans cover is really going to protect my legs!)

I bought the plastic transmission cover and new rubber-like gaskets from
TRF that mount under all the edges of the cover.  My question is:  do you
need any kind of seam sealer in addition to the gaskets?  Bentley calls
for sealastic (sp?).  If a seam sealer is necessary, what's a good modern
replacement for sealastic?

Finally, is there any advantage in using sound-deadening bubble-wrap over
the slightly heavier felt underlayment that TRF is now selling?  (heavier
than the crushed original, I mean.)

Many thanks.

Ian
CF57345U +O