Re: pop rivet guns

To: "Beth & Ken" <bethken@erols.com>
Subject: Re: pop rivet guns
From: Tony Gordon <tgordon@saginaw-city.k12.mi.us>
Date: Sun, 14 May 2000 12:00:37 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Ken,

Common problem on soft top frames as well.  You can tackle this in 2 ways
... the first is to file or gring the threaded nose section of the rivet
gun down so it will fit.  This is a bit drastic, so only follow this route
is the next suggestion doesn't work.

The rivet "works" by being compressed against the nose of the gun until the
mandrel breaks/snaps ... you can put a small dia sleeve over the thin steel
mandrel prior to putting the rivet in the gun that will act as if you had
extended the nose of the rivet gun ... as long as it is not too long so it
stops the jaws clamping on the mandrel.

The sleeve should have a small hole (same or slightly larger dia than the
steel mandrel) and have an outside dia that will allow it to fit into the
space you are trying to rivet in.  I found in a box of junk a 0.125" dia
(1/8th) piece that was about a 1/4" long that really worked well.  Oh, one
tip, when the mandrel breaks .. the spacer can fly of in the blue yonder so
keep a (protected) eye on it!

Good luck,

Tony

>I just tried to reinstall the rear quarter windows on my GT6+, but the
>"nose" of my JC Whitney rivet gun was too big to fit into the window
>channel. Are there slimmer ones, or do I need to know something else?
>
>ken shapiro
>baltimore
>1970 GT6+ KC81872L

Tony Gordon                     phone:          517-797-4855
Technology Coordinator  fax - office:   517-797-4778
Saginaw Public Schools  fax -direct:    775-552-4412
ISDC, 1505 Ottawa Blvd  email:          tgordon@saginaw-city.k12.mi.us
Saginaw, MI 48602               mobile:         517-295-1068