Re: New!!Sports Cars

To: markie@gte.net, slantws@home.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: New!!Sports Cars
From: Chip19474@aol.com
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 08:57:16 EDT
In a message dated 00-05-15 23:33:11 EDT, markie@gte.net writes:

<<  I also didn't like the fact that a very lovely
 blonde was getting in next to him.  How come my TR8 doesn't attract blondes
 like that?  Do you think it's me or the car?  God I hope my SO doesn't read
 this! >>

Mark,

This will probably get a chuckle from a few readers.....I seem to notice that
when I'm in my Spitfire, I get more thumbs up and "cool car" shouts from
younger (teenage) boys & girls and smiles from older (50 ish) women....case
in point - last weekend on the way to a photo shoot - while driving thru a
small town, lots of teenage boys & girls waved, etc...the weekend before just
after I parked at a diner for a club breakfast, a 50ish woman walked briskly
over to the Spit and struck up a conversation - she had a signal red '70 Mk3
new!!

Now...all you TR3 guys take note...while driving a signal red TR3A with
chrome wires past a local community college last summer....the female college
population went bonkers....and it wasn't me they were looking at, that's for
sure!

Last Saturday, while at a club gathering at a park, two 20-something girls on
bikes road over to where we had parked 5 TR3s and my Spit and asked if we
ever heard of a TR4!!  One girl's dad had one and she remembered riding in it
as a little girl but not what it looked like. Since the TR6 is still in
pieces, I can't provide any "glance appeal" data on that model and for a
TR8....geeez, I just don't know the answer.

I remember reading about a demographic buyer's study that I think Standard
Triumph did years ago but that was focused on buyers not admirers.  I suppose
that if many of the "buyers" are now "admirers", the glances and thumbs up we
get from our LBCs could be somehow predicted.....in the end, it doesn't
really matter who waves at you....these little cars evoke fond memories for a
lot of people and I'm glad to part of it......

Cheers,

Chip Krout
'76 TR6 CF57822U (restoration underway)
'70 Spit Mk3  FDU78512L (getting better with each drive)