Replace TR6 Oil Pump??

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Replace TR6 Oil Pump??
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 14:27:26 EDT
<From: LaJoMor@aol.com
<Subject: Re: TR6 Oil pump specs
<After spending substantial dollars for an engine rebuild (and with a pump
<that has 97,000 miles on it) why are you quibbling about $115 for a critical
<part? Why risk the new rebuild with an old part? Everything wears out
<eventually.
<Just my  $.02 worth...
<Larry M.

I just read somewhere that TR4 oil pumps were good for 250,000 miles ... and
that was after my own good experience as follows... I kept the same pump when
I rebuilt my motor in 1974 when it had about 90,000 miles on it (it was
within factory specs- I just smoothed the scored end cap with fine grit
paper. After another 90,000 I spec'd it (last year) and it still seems to
measure exactly as it did in 1974! Always did have good oil flow at the
rockers although when the crank bearings wore down my guage did show my
pressure drop.
I will be replacing just the oil pump innards (rotor and cam) this time
around.

Carl Sereda
'64 TR4 since '74 .. in 'ground up' till 2002 - I hope that soon!