Driving impressions

To: TR List <Triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Subject: Driving impressions
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 21:49:34 -0400
Driving Impressions:  TR3 vs TR6

Having just driven my TR3 and TR6 back to back to and from Columbia, MO I
hereby make the following observations:

The TR3 was built in 1957, the TR6 in 1971.  What have Triumph been doing
in the intervening 14 years?  Well, quite a bit, actually.  The TR6 is the
evolutionary decendent of the TR3 and the cars are quite similar in many
respects.  But there are differences and these are detailed below.

Acceleration:  About the same but I think the TR3 is a bit faster.

Seating comfort:  TR6 big advantage.  The TR6 seats are quite comfy whereas
the TR3 seats keep the but off the ground and that's about it.

Noise level: Draw.   With the tops down and windows (side curtains) down
the noise is about the same: traffic noise and wind noise rule the day.

Radio:  TR6: yes, TR3: no.  Can't hear it anyway.

Stability at speed:  TR6 big advantage.  Maybe its because the TR6 has
bigger tires.  Maybe it's because it has steel wheels (instead if wires).
Maybe it's because the 6 has a slightly wider track.  Or maybe it's because
the TR6 has four good shocks instead of just three!

Steering:  TR6 wins.  Yes, it is true that the TR3's steering box is a bit
worn and has more play than it should but the TR6 rack and pinion has over
130,000 miles (200,000 KM) on it and is as tight as it was new.  A definite
improvement.

Head turning ability:  TR3 the clear winner.  Yes the TR6 will attract some
attention but even non-car type people will stop and say "Cool car!" when
the TR3 rolls by.

Which car would I drive cross country in:  TR6.  Been there, done that,
can't imagine driving 8 - 12 hours in a TR3 (at least  MY TR3)  (OK, OK, my
WIFE's TR3!)  I would need a chiropractor when I got there.

Dave