Re: Removal of TR2/3 rear shocks.

To: <a3graham@admmail.uwaterloo.ca>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Removal of TR2/3 rear shocks.
From: "Erkan Hassan" <ehassan@rx.umaryland.edu>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 09:55:44 -0400
Angelo,

I just went through this on my 62 TR3B.  The head of the bolts on the
rear shocks are too close to the body of the shock to place a socket
over.  (At first I thought they had been installed backwards).  I do
not think my rear shocks had ever been removed.  The passenger side
nuts came off with just a little persuasion.  The driver side however
proved a challenge.  As the nut was turned from behind, the entire
bolt turned as they were frozen.  On the outside bolt not blocked by
the arm of the shock,  I was able to place a vise grip on the head and
with liquid wrench, a propane torch, a lot of huffing and puffing as
well as a few cuss words, the bolt finally broke off just under the
nut.

The second bolt proved more difficult as there was no way to grip the
head while turning the nut from behind.  I tried all the usual stuff
as above to no avail.  Finally, I bought a nut splitter and just broke
the nut off.  I wish I had done that to start with both bolts.

Good luck
Erkan Hassan
62 TR3B
TCF 536