Re: Blast Cabinet Filter

To: suhring <suhring@lancnews.infi.net>
Subject: Re: Blast Cabinet Filter
From: Alan Myers <reagntsj@ricochet.net>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 23:37:43 -0700
--------------66F1194E81D7B6BF76D28456

Hi Scott,

Does your new cabinet have a dust collector? Mine has a simple
(inexpensive!) 5 gal. wet/dry vac, which uses a standard vacuum hose to
pick up the dust from a close fitted hole in the upper right side. It
has an intake port in the same location as what you describe.

As an intake, there is no filter on it... just a small round grill, not
adjustable like yours. Reading the instructions on my cabinet, I see
they recommend against using sand at all. Of course, that didn't stop
me! The "dust collector" vacuum was supplied with a standard filter,
which was quickly overwhelmed and created a miniature Sahara in my
garage... more like a "dust distributor". I replaced with a high
efficiency filter and also installed a bag like those used for sheetrock
and other very dusty work... so far so good, as far as dust is
concerned.

I've also found from my own experience and discussion with other cabinet
users: 1. the sand always collects as far as possible from the pickup
tube 2. I always seem to need 4 times as much sand as is recommended 3.
replaceable mylar shields for the inside of the viewing window can be
purchased in bulk 4. same with the blaster nozzles 4. there is no such
thing as too much light inside the cabinet.

It's great to have a blasting cabinet to clean up those old parts and
contain the mess. Mine is a "benchtop" model, that would take up the
entire workbench, so I bought a cheap rolling metal cart ($50 from
Rutland Tools)... it positions the cabinet at a good height to work (a
bit lower than most workbenches), allows me to roll it outside if it's a
nice day and around the garage out of the way of other projects, and has
a nice lower shelf to store those bags of sand and hold the "dust
collector".

Have fun.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.