RE: Timing Woes

To: "'Richard B Gosling'" <Gosling_Richard_B@perkins.com>, "Spitfire List (E-mail)" <spitfires@autox.team.net>, "Triumph List (E-mail)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Timing Woes
From: "Greg Hendrix" <gahendrix@att.net>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 22:26:57 -0400
Richard,

You are right - the order is the same, and I also noticed this. I just was
curious as to WHY the PO had placed the plug wires (as identified by Haynes)
on one contact point counter-clockwise around the horn. Given my "rookie"
status, things being 1/4 turn CCW out of standard just seemed weird, and
since it didn't work properly, I assumed that it might be the cause of my
problem. My initial thought was he couldn't adjust the timing properly, so
rotating the cables 1/4 turn CCW might help get the dizzy back to a more
manageable position for adjustments. Just guessing.

In hindsight, I probably should NOT have changed my dizzy positioning since
I at LEAST had SOMETHING firing with the prior positioning. I followed the
recommendation of a good Spit mechanic on how to fix the problem, and it
seemed to sync up with some of the text in Haynes.

Now, help me out - I have trouble grasping the concept of a spark being 360
deg out of sync. Wouldn't 360 deg bring it right back to where it started?

The rotor goes counter clock-wise (CCW), with Haynes saying number 1 is at
11:00, 3 is at 7:00, 4 is at 5:00, and 2 is at about 1:00. The prior
arrangement was 2134. I'm confident that the diagram in Haynes showing the
spark wire configuration is correct (but thanks for mentioning it, sometimes
it can be something silly).

Unfortunately, Haynes does not provide a means of setting a breakerless type
ignition statically (they say it's not practical)  - only dynamically. Of
course they assume you can idle the engine at 800 RPM while you use your
timing light.

Thank you for investing the time and thought into your response. NO
apologies needed whatsoever. I seem to come up with creative ways to defy
logic with my projects and get responses from seasoned veterans such as
"I've never seen THAT before an all of my 40 years of working
on________(fill in the blank!)" Oh well, it's the journey, not the
destination that makes this all worthwhile (right?)

Greg Hendrix
Downingtown, PA
'74 Spitfire (in traction and on a respirator)