Heater fan motor

To: Lftlesl@aol.com;triumphs@autox.team.net;;;;
Subject: Heater fan motor
From: wallaces@superaje.com
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 18:10:21 -500
Hi Les,
When I got the heater out of the 3a, I hooked the fan motor up to a battery,
and it would have burned out a winding or perhaps the leads if I had not been
quick to disconnect.
Be careful, if the motor's stuck it will just draw current and generate heat
instead of rotary motion.
With mine, I used 3-in-1 oil on the one accessable bearing (bushing?) and turned
it by hand to free it up. After getting it to move, I rotated it by hand to
get the oil down in there, and only then reconnected the battery. At that point
I also helped it get started, and periodically added more 3-in-1 as required.
The speed slowly increased for at least 5 minutes, and then stabilized.
Also, while it's out, it's a good time to flush the core. With holding the
garden
hose alternately at the outlet and the inlet, I got brown crud coming out for
20 minutes - no kidding! That's a long time; that water does get cold on the
hands. Anyway I believe I have brought my heater back to its former glory; it
would have produced no heat at all, and now it's as original and will produce
very little.
Regards,
Jim Wallace
3a TS81417