TR6 vs GT-6 Distributors

To: triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 vs GT-6 Distributors
From: aribert neumann <aribert@c3net.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 21:04:34 -0400
The distributor ('73 TVR (TR-6)) in my 2.5L GT-6 has severely worn
bushings.  Radial freeplay in the distributor shaft is allowing contact
between the rotor and the distributor cap. I still have the distributor
from the original '71 GT-6 engine.  Question #1:  is there any
performance benefit of one dist over the other?  FWIW, I am running
triple Weber 40DCOEs and Crane XR-700 (probably why my car is still in
use with rotor to cap contact/wear). The TR-6 dist is a Lucas, the GT-6
dist is different in appearance with a different dist cap (Delco?).
Since I have a choice in distributors, I might as well pick the best
one.

I am considering having my dist recurved to increase the total advance.
Question #2: For street use, will I even be able to notice a performance
improvement with a recurved dist?  Question #3:  When having a
distributor recurved, how does one know if the shop that is doing the
recurving knows what is ideal (short of testing the car on a dyno before
and after)?  Any suggestions on places where to have a distributor
recurved and what the typical going rate might be.

In digest mode, thanks in advance.