Paint codes and matching

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Paint codes and matching
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 08:50:21 +0100charset="iso-8859-1"
Jack McGahey wrote:
I don't know how this applies to your various yellows, but I can state with
absolute certainty that PPG and Dupont paint codes for pimento red do
not match the pimento red that rolled out of the Triumph factory over 25
years ago.

It's probably worth mentioning that with the multiplicity of paint
manufacturers who
supplied Triumph in any given period, the colours that rolled off the line on
new cars
weren't necessarily exact matches either. Blow jobs to repair transit damage
after
shipment posed very real matching problems. Thirty odd years down the track,
anyone who
has difficulty replicating the *original* colour will not be in unfamiliar
territory.
Another headache for those owners who seek to claim their cars are *original.*
Quite where this puts the judges in concours events is a moot point.

Jonmac