Fuses & 80 days around the world

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Fuses & 80 days around the world
From: wallaces@superaje.com
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 17:32:52 -500
Hi folks,
On the weekend we took a trip to Niagara Falls to try to find the vintage cars
doing the 80 day around the world rally. While the organizers don't give out
the route, they did tell me the hotel where they were staying so we got there
in time to see them arrive.
Gearhead heaven! I would certainly recommend trying to see them if you are on
their path. What a sight.
One of the Healey drivers told me that they're using Michelins meant for vans,
and he thinks that this was a good plan since by the time they hit Beijing
something
like 75 out of 82 cars had had punctures, but not him. ("They're useless in
the mud though" - and by the look of these cars they do see a lot of mud!)
Boy do I now know what I hope to do in my retirement years. The $125,000
entrance
fee could be a small problem though.
I did take a number of pictures; I'll let you know if they turn out well.

Well what I really meant to write about was fuses. I noticed that many of these
cars, from many different countries, had had their fuse boxes replaced i.e.
the original one was gone and an updated type installed. Without exception they
use the new spade-type fuses (I don't know the name but they're the colour-coded
ones that push straight in) that you see all the time on modern cars. I guess
if you want reliability there must be something to some of this new-fangled
technology. (Mind you some of them had the fuse panel directly in front of the
navigator, so they may have anticipated the need for speedy access.)
That's it.
Regards,
Jim Wallace
http://www.superaje.com/home