Re: TR2-4: Moss 87mm liner kit

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR2-4: Moss 87mm liner kit
From: jluke@unm.edu (James Luke)
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 13:50:07 -0600 (MDT)

Forgive the lateness of my reply, I am still plowing through 2 weeks of
digests.

Michael Marr wrote:
>> I noticed in Moss' latest sale flyer that they have an 87 mm piston and
>> liner kit on sale for $399.95.

Another lister responded:
>IMHO oversizing is at the basis of any rebuild if your goal is to put
>together a stronger, upgraded engine.
>Plus, if you are having to replace those bits & pieces anyway, why not
>go up a notch or two?

>Here's something else I heard recently: 87 mm is equivalent to a .060"
>oversize 86mm piston. Or, it would be had there been such a thing. TR's
>largest oversize was .040", I think.

nope, 87mm is a .040" oversize 86mm piston (1mm = 0.040").

By the way, going from 86mm to 87mm, the displacement increases from
2138cc to 2187cc, an increase of 2.3%.  I wouldnt pay $400 for
approximately 2.3 horsepower.  As the other lister said, if you
have to replace those parts anyway, then you might as well upgrade.
For the TR3 with 83mm pistons, stock displacement is 1991cc, and
upgrading to 87mm pistons gives a 9.8% increase.

Jim Luke
66 TR4A
59 TR3A <-- piston rusted to liner, may need 87mm pistons :)