Re: OD A-Type -- Rebuilding

To: fogbro1@bellatlantic.net
Subject: Re: OD A-Type -- Rebuilding
From: Brian Sanborn <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Date: Tue, Jul 11 2000 11:47:34 GMT-0400
Cc: Triumphs@autox.team.net

>The thread size on the accumulator piston is 3/8 US fine (SAE). Just
>find a good long bolt, start it, and pull.
>
>Quantum Mechanics quoted a price of $300 exchange for an annulus. Don't
>know if the one with a bad speedo gear qualifies as a core.

Ed,

Thanks for the advice.

See my reply to Tony Rhodes on the list.  I did get the thing apart and I
figured out the threaded rod trick for the piston.  I would be interested in
you assessment on whether to replace the accummulator with the available 1 1/8
piston liner version or wing it with just reassembling clean.  The 1 3/4
pistion does seal quite well when oiled up and inserted in the bore.

I have a theory about the damaged worm gear on the annulus. When I look into
the hole for the speedo gear the position of the worm gear is not centered on
the hole and the damage is at the rear edge of the worm gear cut where it
transition to normal shaft surface.  I suspect that the annullus is forward of
it's intended position in the rear case by as much as a 1/2 inch or 3/8ths.  Is
this possible??

I am waiting for the shop press to see if I can seat the annulus deeper into
the bearings.  This would explain how the damage occurred.  But I must figure
out how this could have happened.  I noticed that this GBX/OD came with a
different.. longer by about a 1/4 - 3/8 adapter that goes on the end of the
shaft.  Made the whole bell housing edge to tailshaft measurement a bit longer
by 1/4-3/8 than my other spare none OD gearbox.

Your comments and observations are highly valued.

P.S. Quantum Mechanics sounds like a good source to check.

Brian Sanborn
'62 TR4 CT16260L  Groton,MA
TR4 Website www.net1plus.com/users/sanborn/home.html