tr4 rebuild won't start

To: triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: tr4 rebuild won't start
From: John Howard <trjhhow7@home.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 18:08:18 -0400
Thanks all your quick replies.

Randall, I didn't check the valves exactly that way, but on #1, with
both valves closed, the pointer lines up precisely with the pulley mark
having checked that piston is coming up on the compression stroke with
the thumb on the hole test. The rotor then points at #1. OK?  I really
don't see how I can be 180 degrees out. (I've been there before with the
6, and actually drove it that way for a whil with the spark wires
rearranged).

Actually, I didn't put grossjets in because the vendor sent me a bum
kit. The old jets are kind of sticky so I probably should have replaced.
Maybe I have to do that first.

I didn't mention that I have increased compression to 10:1, have the "C"
cam and uprated springs. probably foolish, but what the hey. Do these
modifications make any BASIC difference in setting it up for the start?

Still trying to think....John