Re: Oil leaking from gas pump

To: Pat <pleask@mailhost.wlc.com>
Subject: Re: Oil leaking from gas pump
From: Alan Myers <reagntsj@ricochet.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 06:05:36 -0700
Cc: TRlist <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Hi Pat,

You may have worn rings allowing compression to leak past into the
crankcase, raising the pressure and forcing some oil out...

But, first check the PCV, Positive Crankcase Ventilation system. If your
motor is in good repair, this could cause the same symptom. Look on top
of the engine, youi should see a hose from the valve cover to the PCV
valve, plus one from the PCV to the intake manifold or carb air filters.
The PCV valve can stick shut after years of use.

This is a likely suspect and certainly a much happier problem to deal
with! (although I think PCV valves/parts can be a bit scarce)

Don't let the problem go too long, can lead to blown seals and other
leaks around the engine.

Yes, the TR4 had "open circuit breathing" for the crankcase... this was
designed to keep the bottom side of the car nicely coated with oil,
provide a top-seal to paved roads, & reduce dust on dirt roads. Worked
extremely well from the looks of the underside of my TR4. ;-)

Unfortunately, we were caught by Congress who for some reason wanted to
reduce pollution and legislated away my cars right to breathe freely.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.
'62 TR4 CT17602L (as in Leak, oil)