Re: Air respirator for painting

To: AndyJS1@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Air respirator for painting
From: MOWOGMAN@aol.com
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 22:46:49 EDT
To Andy and all,
Sorry I only wrote about this to the Healey list, but I am the very satisfied
owner of a Hobbyair 1f forced air respirator system.  It is Very nicely made
and works excellantly!!!!
The masks are expensive to replace (not that you'd need to) , but you'll see
why if you buy one, they are top notch.  You should buy the replaceable
plastic face shields, as they do a good job of protecting the glass lens from
damage.  I've painted my TR7 with this mask, and it was very pleasent.  You
really do not notice any fumes as the compressor provides a gentle positive
pressure to the whole mask, which most of the time is even slightly cool
(very nice!)   In use you feel and sound a little like Darth Vader!   The
forty foot long breathing hose allowed me to get all around my car with no
problems.

Complaints?
None really, I noticed my eyes were a little dry after an hour or so, which
is probably to be expected.
I also had a little difficulty remembering that I had two hoses to keep track
of, even though the hobbyair hose attaches at your waist.

Again, I had no fume exposure, my eyes, nose, mouth, skin, etc all were
perfectly normal after each session.

I believe the Isocyanate paints eventually cause things like kidney damage or
failure.  I decided, living long and healthy was worth $500.   Plus, even
buying that, I still saved over paying to have my car shot. (I've been
painting cars for 25 years, off and on).

No offense to the "pros" who just use a respirator, but they are playing some
sort of macho fools game with their lives.   Twenty years ago it was lacquer
and enamel, it's gotten a lot worse now!

You can buy the Hobby air from Eastwood or get it direct from <A
HREF="http://www.fastechcorp.com/";>Fastech Corporation</A> (the manufacturer)
 in northern Illinois.  I ordered mine direct and at the time saved 20% when
I mentioned their website!  About a month later Eastwood had a sale on them
as well.

in short, I love it!, and have no idea how I got buy without it, much like my
sandblast cabinet, but that's another story.

John
Oostburg, WI
'60 BT7
'60 Mini
'80 TR7 (freshly repainted Carmine red!)
'69 AA
'57 Isetta
Etc.