Cogged Belt

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Cogged Belt
From: "Evans, Mark" <Mark.Evans@Anheuser-Busch.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 18:27:26 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
While adjusting my valves today ('66 TR4A),  I noticed a 4 inch chunk missing
from the inner layers of my fan belt. Only the thin outermost layer was keeping
it together. YIKES - don't want to drive like that! The belt is probably
eighteen years old and must definitely go away. It has been about that long
since this car was a daily driver.

I recently purchased one of the cogged replacement belts (Flennor 834-025) from
one of the Big 3 as a spare and was disappointed that the original solid belt
was not available. I read in some bodies catalog that the cogged belt is a
'superior' replacement.

Is this cogged belt a 'superior' replacement? (Certainly superior to my current
belt!)
Is this cogged belt really going to work?
Can anyone offer their experiences using this type of belt?
Does anyone know where original or equivalent solid belts can be found?

(I searched the archives on this and found out some info from the past but was
hoping for more)

Thanks in Advance,
Mark A. Evans
1966 TR4A IRS CTC63970 LO