Re: Brake servo

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, LaJoMor@aol.com
Subject: Re: Brake servo
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 01:37:20 EDT
Larry Morrison wrote:

>  ...is the brake servo, other than being an original part,
>  necessary if you have a good, strong right leg?

To which Dave Massey replied"

>  Why guess at it, Larry, just pull the vacuum hose from the servo and plug
>  it.  Then take the car for a drive and see how it works without a servo.  I
>  think you will find that it takes a lot of foot, indeed, with out the
>  boost.

Actually, it isn't too bad. I drove my TR6 for a good little bit with a
ruptured diaphram in the booster, and it wasn't at all bad. I could live
without it, and I'm a little bitty guy, with a puny little right leg!  But,
like Dave said, the best way to find out is to pull the vacuum line to the
servo and drive it. Make sure, as Dave said, to plug the line, or your car
won't run!

Larry also said:

>  Now...understand the brakes were upgraded by
>  using vented front discs with 4-pot alloy calipers and finned alloy drums
at
>  the rear.

A really cheap way to upgrade the front brakes on a TR6 is to use four-pot
calipers from an '82 Toyota 4x4 pickup. They cost less than half what rebuilt
TR6 calipers cost, are virtually a bolt-in operation, and the improvement in
stopping distance is significant. Ask John Lye and/or Lee janssen

Dan