Re: TR3 brake bleeding

To: Ken Gano <triumphs@mcleodusa.net>
Subject: Re: TR3 brake bleeding
From: "Michael Ferguson" <fergie@ntplx.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 18:50:39 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Hi, Ken. Same thing just happened to me, except it was the left front. I
honestly don't know what happened here...I took the bleed nipple out and
pumped once - fluid gushed out. Tried a spare nipple and it seemed fine and
bled ok, but later, when I tried it again to make sure, it turned out the
spare nipple was apparently not seating properly. When I pushed quite hard
on the pedal now that I'd buttoned everything up, fluid was oozing out
around the threads. (Naturally, I was so excited when I thought I'd fixed my
problem that I posted to the list that the problem was the bleed nipple...it
wasn't, so consider this an "I'll-go-stand-in-the-corner-now" retraction.)

Put the old nipple back in...same thing push the (very hard) pedal, nothing!
I wound up removing the restrictor valve (I think that's the name...it's the
part inside of the hex fitting on the top of the 5-way fitting on the frame
just behind the passenger side front wheel). Put it all back together,
refilled and all four corners bled properly. (This solution has been posted
on the list before...should be able to find it on ListQuest (brakes locking
or maybe it was "binding".)

Just finished it up this afternoon and took it for a nice drive. Didn't run
through any stop lites or hit any trees, so I guess I did ok. Pain in the
neck though, since removing the fitting drains the entire canister...I HATE
BRAKE FLUID!

Anyway, that's my story and I'm  sticking to it. Good luck with yours.

Michael Ferguson
1959 TR3A  TS53990L...O