TR 4A solid axle diff

To: Triumph Newsgroup <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR 4A solid axle diff
From: jmwagner <jmwagner@greenheart.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2000 13:33:04 -0700
just shooting the breeze here...not much content....

I'm in the middle of replacing the complete rear axle on my TR 4A...  I
pulled it yesterday.  (I have a rebuilt replacement with 4.1:1 on
stand-by.)   I didn't have to pull the rear cover to know it was bad...
so I had not looked before.    Now that it was out of the car, I went
ahead and pulled the cover....

Wow... What a mess...  The crown wheel  looks like some sort of
turbo-charger... the space between the gears have been smoothed out for
better "air flow"... and the high points have knife-sharp edges... and
I'm not sure how to describe the king pin, except to say, it's not
recognizable.   There's not as much metal filing sludge as I thought
there'd be, but it's well represented.

I will admit... that at a certain point along the game... when I knew
the rear was shot... and I was tired of topping off the leaks...  I
allowed the oil to get low...  So this compounded things...  If I had
been more vigilant about that, perhaps the unit would have been
rebuildable.

I can pretty much say.... there's nothing in this rear worth keeping
except the housing.  Which, because it's a TR 4A solid axle... I guess
it's rare enough... that I should hang onto it.  (Just the kind of part
I'd rather NOT have laying about!)

Anyways...I thought I'd share the moment.

--Justin