Re: TR6 - gearbox question and flywheel bolt thanks

To: stevens@erols.com
Subject: Re: TR6 - gearbox question and flywheel bolt thanks
From: Brian Sanborn <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Date: Fri, Aug 4 2000 9:11:32 GMT-0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
I noticed that the throwout bearing fork
>shafts on both the 4-speed I'm removing and the new-to-me overdrive box are
>riding on the bare aluminum bellhousing.  It doesn't look to me that
>there's much room for a bushing, but the factory manual does show one.

Ted,

As far as I know... the gearboxs are the same.  The TOB is pressed on a large
bronze carrier bushing.  The bushing has a hole that lets it slide onto the
front cover tube.  It also has two flanges that provide a track for the pins on
the fork to ride in.

The TOB is replaced by "pulling" the TOB off the bushing and pressing a new TOB
on with a press or other means.  However... you can put a new TOB on the bush
by chilling the bush in the freezer and heating the TOB in the oven to about
200 degrees.  The TOB will slip onto the bushing quite easily if you act
quickly.

Under no circumstances that I can imagine... would the TOB be in play without
the bushing.

Brian Sanborn
'62 TR4 CT16260L  Groton,MA
TR4 Website www.net1plus.com/users/sanborn/home.html