Refinishing dash [was '73 - '74 dash sold, also woodcraft question]

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Refinishing dash [was '73 - '74 dash sold, also woodcraft question]
From: ingate@horizon.com
Date: 4 Aug 2000 14:04:43 -0000
Rick Olson wrote:
        > Now, can somebody recommend a way to remove the yellowed, peeling
        > shellac?/varnish on my '72 dash so I can refinish it.

There was a lengthy thread on this subject 2 years ago, and I used
the information therein to refinish my dash.  While it does not produce the
same results as re-veneering the dash (itsself a project that requires
craftsman ability), the method I used produced very pleasing results.

First, remove the dash.  Then very carefully using a high-quality 3/4" wood
chisel, very careful chip off the shellac.  Yes, it does separate from the
veneer
underneath, but you do have to be very careful not to chip away the veneer.
In my enthusiasm, I did chip away two areas on my dash, but easily filled
them and only one of the marks acan be found after a close inspection.
The first 2 seconds of this chipping process is perhaps the most worrying,
but when you find that it actually comes off quite easily, the project
suddenly appears very manageable.  This process took 2-3 hours.

Next step is sanding.  Don't skip here.  Then apply the poly-coat.  Get one
that does not yellow.  Everyone has their favorites.  The big choice that
you have is either gloss, semi or matt finish.  I went for the semi-gloss, as
I was rather fond of the non-gloss on my '74.  Fine sand between coats,
as if you are painting sheet-metal.  I do not think there is any such thing
as too many coats!  :)

Put it back together.  Voila!  For a few bucks and a few hours work, it
looks fabulous.

Now one extra tip to really set it off.  Pull the bezels off the instruments
and clean the insides of the glass, and carefully DUST the black instrument
face.  Your instruments will look like new and really set off the dash.

Now if only I could get the rest of the car to look this sharp.  ;)

FWIW, I have been away from the list for a few years, due to moving
jobs etc.  SO allow me to (re)introduce myself.  I have a late '74
TR6, and am a perfromance geek.  I like tweaked TRs, and dream of
building a roadable Group-44 replica.  For a slightly out-of-date
list of things I done to my care, see my website at
www.geocities.com/hottr6/triumph

I'm glad to be back!

Shane Ingate, now in Melbourne, Florida