Re: Flywheel bolts and locknuts

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Flywheel bolts and locknuts
From: "Theodore R. Stevens" <stevens@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 09:24:10 -0400
Cc: Willy Okarooney <ok_20_02@hotmail.com>
That was me. There were no lock tabs on the flywheel when I disassembled
it, and from the look of the pilot bushing and rear engine oil seal, it had
never been off before.  I was a bit concerned about the lack of some bolt
locking mechanism, so I hit the books (Haynes and factory manuals) and
found that there was a switch at some point from the lock tabs to "self
locking bolts".  I don't have the page reference now, or recall just when
the switchover took place on the TR6.

I really do appreciate your concern.

At 09:18 AM 8/14/00 -0400, "Willy Okarooney" <ok_20_02@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Recently, someone was asking about lock nuts for flywheel bolts... for a
>TR6, I think. Whether they were needed.
>
>I cannot remember if I commented or not. However, I woke up last night with
>the fear that someone may be assembling a TR6 motor without locknuts and the
>flywheel coming off. I coul not get back to sleep for a while.
>
>This is a general warning to that person to use the crimp-over lock washers
>for the flywheel bolt.
>
>I can sleep peacefully now. Thank you
>
>Will

---