Re: TR2 (wing beading or piping?)

To: fergie@ntplx.net, scherer_william@hotmail.com, Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR2 (wing beading or piping?)
From: Herald948@aol.com
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 20:47:04 EDT
Bill Scherer asked:

>  > Ya know, I have never seen another 54 TR2 other than my own.  Lots of
TR3s

In a message dated 8/16/00 7:17:49 PM EST, fergie@ntplx.net replies:

> Not sure about your welting/piping terminology, but if you're referring to
>  the trim pieces that separate the wings from the tub, it's always been my
>  understanding that the TR2 and '3 beads were identical except the '2 beads
>  were painted body color while the '3's were bright (stainless, I think).
>  Been wrong before though. :^)

And you're wrong again! :-)

Up to TS8636 (basically, all TR2 models), a kind of plastic extrusion was
used for "wing piping" (as it's described in the Spare Parts Catalogue). It
was available in colors ("When ordering please state colour required!). As of
TS8637 -- the first TR3, the familiar stainless "wing beads" were introduced.
Note that the TR2 piping did NOT extend between the back edge of the apron
and the front edge of the scuttle/front wing joint, as did the later
stainless bead.

I do know at least one person who went to great trouble and expense to have
an extrusion mold (is that the correct term?) produced, carefully patterned
after a salvaged original piece of piping, and had made some length of piping
in green -- but that was 12 years ago. I don't know if he still has the mold,
and I don't know if anyone else has ever gone to that trouble. (Yet another
way to produce a $40,000 restoration on a TR, BTW! :-) )

--Andy

Andrew Mace, President, The Vintage Triumph Register