TR3 fan conversion

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3 fan conversion
From: Dave and Ann Smith <smithd@peak.org>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 11:53:39 -0700
I am in the process of restoring a TR3A and after listening to the list and
reading what I could find on the subject, I replaced the fan with what the
salvage yard says is a Volvo 240 fan. It has the same center diameter but I
had to redrill the hub to match the Triumph pattern. (There was also a
version of the same fan with a viscous hub.) The diameter of this fan is
greater than the Triumph but it still clears everything. It is a five blade
(not evenly spaced) fan with a more aggresive pitch and quite a bit more
blade area. There is no rubber damping like the original fan. I have the
engine installed on the frame with the radiator and everything fits without
changing the radiator mounting position. I have run the engine and it feels
smooth up to the 2500 or so I have run it to. What do you think. Should I
use it, or reinstall the original fan?

Dave
61? TR3A (title says 1960 but the vin is TS 78494 L)