Mobil 1 and TR6

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Mobil 1 and TR6
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 23:09:32 +0100charset="iso-8859-1"
For every post against the use of Mobil 1, I guess there must be one in its
favour. I
support Adrian Dix-Dyer's comment but oriented totally towards its rejection on
the
grounds of sheer cost. A price check this morning shows the 0W-40 version of
Mobil 1
selling in the UK for $50 for a 4 litre can. This has to be the biggest single
argument
for not using this lube type when Castrol GTX or Duckhams 'Classic' 20/50 is
freely
available, a whole lot cheaper and IMHO entirely suited to an engine who's
origins are not
too far removed from a pre-war side-valve unit. For a car that probably does a
maximum
annual mileage of no more than 5k (typical for most UK classics) with up to
three oil and
filter changes in a season and with fuel at almost $6 a gallon,  is it
cost-effective? A
tankful of gas and a sump of Mobil 1 will set me back $135. Rocket science
technology in
my engine is not something I think it really needs - but I'm open to persuasion.

Jonmac